Who else has some curtain rods that have seen better days? Josh and I have been married almost twelve years now so naturally some things from our first house are getting on the outdated side if they’re not there already. Certain curtain rods in particular are something that I have been dying to update. I’ve had dreams of switching the silver and black rods for pretty brass ones. After shopping around for them I was in shock at their price tag! I had found an affordable option on Amazon only to find out they had been discontinued. Several quality brands wanted $300 – $600 for curtain rods and that’s just not an option in our home right now. There are a lot of things that are worth spending the extra money when it comes to decorating. Curtain rods are one of those things in my opinion. The perfect rod makes a big difference in the appearance of the window. However spending $300 in a room for new curtain rods wont work for us right now and honestly I don’t think that it’s necessary. I decided to work with what I already had and give them a new look with a little paint. Here’s my easy curtain rod update for ya!
These are the two rods from my master bedroom. They’re from our previous home and are in great condition. I just wasn’t feeling the silver finish anymore.
I did a little research on different brass finish spray paints online. I read several reviews of different brands and set to the store for the Rust-Oleum metallic paint. When I got to Lowes I also came across Valspar’s gold metallic spray paint as well. I decided to get both and I’m so glad I did. What I found was that the Rust-Oleum paint had a more milky finish to it. It had a very flat gold look to it, not in-keeping with brass at all. Valspar, however worked like a charm. I loved the almost mirror effect and pretty shine to it that real brass has. It’s by far my favorite paint option for this kind of thing.
This post contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
We got lucky over the weekend and had a nice little reprieve from the rain on Friday. I took my chance and got to work. I laid a large piece of cardboard outside along with the rods. I used 400 grit sandpaper on them to give the paint a little something to cling to. I used a damp rag to make sure to remove any dust and let them dry.
I used my Rust-Oleum comfort grip tool. If you don’t have one already, spend the extra few dollars and save your hand. It’s worth it. I gave the rods three thin coats, rotating them in-between to cover all sides. It did take most of the afternoon but it made sure the finish was even and if with thin coats you don’t get any running from the paint. I ran out of time and was unable to put a top finishing coat on them. By Saturday the rain had returned so my impatient self decided to go ahead and hang them. If you’re using curtain rings I would recommend the top protective coat for sure. Since I’m only using soft cotton drapes I figured I was safe for the time being.
Here’s how they look now –
Isn’t it just the prettiest finish? One way to give your cheaper rods a little something extra is to swap out the flimsy hardware. I’m going to hunt for something a little more substantial soon. I’ll let you know what I find.
I love the new look. They have such a presence in the space now. Before, they would get lost in the wall, not anymore! P.S. this is also a sneak peek of our new bedroom wall color. The room was originally a gray but now it’s a warm off white. Lately I’ve found myself pulling away from grays and gravitating towards warmer colors. There’s something so cozy and elegant about them.
I’m really pleasantly surprised with this project. I tend to shy away from spray paint when it comes to home decor. I suppose it has it’s place after all. Not to mention, a can of spray paint only came in around $5, what a huge savings! I love using what I have when I can, so this is a great example of working with what you’ve got and making it into something you love again. Our bedroom update is shaping up to be just that, something I really love. I can not wait to share the changes with you. The rods and walls were not the only thing that saw new paint. I was on a painting frenzy this past weekend friends and I finally settled on a color for my vintage dresser on the other side of the room. It was a pale gray before and now it’s rich and moody. I’ll share it soon. Have a great week friends and Happy Valentine’s Day!