Summer time was made for strawberry recipes! There’s just something about a strawberry sweet bread that screams summer. This delicious sweet bread is perfect as is or enjoy it as a dessert with it’s sweet strawberry glaze. This recipe is quick, sweet and loaded with fresh strawberries!
It’s summer, which means strawberry season is in full swing! I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t one of my favorite times. Charlie and I are all about the berry recipes. He loves to help in the kitchen, so you know he was just a little excited to help me when I told him I was whipping up some strawberry sweet bread! This particular recipe is one of the most versatile recipes I have. If bread loaves are not your thing, you can use this same recipe to make cupcakes or muffins instead. Just use my streusel topping from my bakery style blueberry muffin recipe in place of the glaze.
Honestly, our favorite way to enjoy this bread is without the glaze. It’s sweet but not too sweet, moist and full of fresh strawberries. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but I like to include options for those of you who do. It does make for a yummy and sweet dessert for summer when incorporating the glaze. Serve with a cup of coffee and you’re set!
Making Your Strawberry Sweet Bread
This is a quick bread recipe, so no kneading required. You don’t have to have any fancy mixers, just a bowl and whisk work perfectly. You can easily have the batter mixed up and ready to bake in just 10-15 minutes. Notes worth mention:
- Always toss your diced strawberries in a little flour before adding to the batter. This will prevent your strawberries from sinking to the bottom while baking. You want the strawberries to be equally thoughout the loaf.
- For a little extra height, substitute the 2 tsp. of baking powder for 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. baking soda.
- Love a strawberry lemon combination? Add a tablespoon or two of lemon zest to the cake batter and a bit to the glaze. The lemon adds a nice citrus note.
Glazed Strawberry Sweet Bread
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 Lg. egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or freshly milled soft white wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups fresh diced strawberries
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1-2 Tbsp. heavy cream (more if needed)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
- 1/4-1/3 cup finely diced strawberries
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk the sugar, milk, oil, egg and vanilla together until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
In a small bowl, toss the strawberries in the 2 tablespoons of flour to coat them. Gently, fold the floured strawberries into the batter.
Pour the bread batter into a greased 9"x5" bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the bread to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Make The Glaze (optional)
Whisk the powdered sugar, melted butter, heavy cream, diced strawberries and extract in a small bowl. Whisk until it's smooth.
Pour over strawberry bread once it's completely cooled. Slice and enjoy!
- By tossing the diced strawberries in flour before mixing them into the batter, you're preventing the strawberries from falling to the bottom if the loaf while it's baking.
- The glaze is optional. This bread is delicious just as it is. Because the glaze is very sweet, it is more like a dessert. For more of a breakfast loaf, skip the glaze.
There’s so many delicious things you can make this summer with all your fresh strawberries! Below you’ll find several more great recipes to try, from cocktails to tarts, there’s something for everyone. Do you have a favorite strawberry recipe you make each year?
Be sure to hop over to the next blog and grab the recipe. Cheers to a wonderful summer and happy baking!
13 Summer Strawberry Recipes
Fresh Strawberry Pie // Happy Happy Nester
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes // Inspiration For Moms
Strawberry Tart // Paint Me Pink
Muddled Strawberry Basil Cocktail // Modern Glam
Strawberry Cocktail // Craftberry Bush
Refreshing Strawberry Cocktail // Maison De Cinq
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwiches // My 100 Year Old Home
Strawberry Basil Ice Cream // Most Lovely Things
Keto Strawberry Shortcake In A Jar // The Happy Housie
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Quinoa // Satori Design For Living
Glazed Strawberry Sweet Bread // Sincerely, Marie Designs
Breakfast Granola Tart // My Sweet Savannah
Easy Strawberry Banana Cheesecake Salad // Twelve on Main